Blog Blog of BerlinBack to Berlin
Bicycle auctions in 2018
Some of you may not have been in Berlin long enough to hear about the bicycle auctions that happen on behalf of Polizei every two months. Those bikes that are not claimed by their owners after an allotted time are sold off to the highest bidder at these auctions.
The benefits of buying a bike in this manner are:
- cheap bikes - cheaper than flohmarkts
- proof of receipt - means you can sell off bike later more easily
- not supporting bicycle theft
- it's an exciting atmosphere and gives you a buzz when you're the highest bidder
It is best if you go there with someone who knows what to look out for in buying a second hand bike, as they are of varying quality and a little bit about how numbers sound in German is a plus.
If you contact us at BSB, we may be attending and be able to help you out in choosing a suitable ride.
The next Polizei auction --> see link here for the specfic dates (viewing starts at 8am, auction from 10am) Polizei auction website - click here
- ~ 200 bikes on offer usually (also other items, sporting equipment, cameras, laptops, phones, etc.)
- no bidding slip required - bid using your upraised hand, pay for each item immediately after you have won it
- well organised
- cash only - no cards
- will be taking place from 8am (viewing of bikes) and then auction starts at 10am upstairs
- recommend you bring a picnic with you - eg snacks and tea
Where? AssetOrb GmbH
Werdauer Weg 23, 10829 Berlin (near S-Bahnhof Schöneberg)
The details of all future Polizei auctions will be posted on this blog and on our Facebook page.